Here's a good article curated from NBC News regarding the value of dental insurance in the US. Or lack of value if you've ever tried to get more than one crown or root canal done in a year... -Carla
- Indemnity plan: You choose your provider, and your plan pays a percentage of the fees.
- PPO: Preferred provider organization plans have groups of practitioners who agree to reduced fees for patients within the network. Your costs are lower with network dentists. You may see out-of-network dentists, but it’ll cost you more.
- HMO: Health maintenance organizations cut costs by requiring members to use only providers within the network.
- Preventive care: periodic exams, X-rays and, for some age groups, sealants -- 100 percent.
- Basic procedures: office visits, extractions, fillings, root canals (sometimes) and periodontal treatment -- 70 percent to 80 percent.
- Major procedures: crowns, bridges, inlays, dentures and sometimes implants and root canals -- 50 percent or less.
- The annual premium
- The cost of the dental care you need
- Your policy’s limit on how much it pays out in benefits and whether you can roll over unused benefits from the previous year
- Policy coverage
- The ADA tells how to compare and assess dental plans.
- Use this Healthcare.gov plan locator to find ACA dental plans locally and compare costs.
- OSAP, the Organization for Safety and Asepsis Procedures, tells how to assess infection-control practices in a dentist’s office and gives a checklist for obtaining safe dental care abroad.
- Board Certified Mexico Dental Association has English speaking top specialist dentists in Mexico's most popular dental tourism locales including Cabo, Tijuana, Los Algodones, Puerto Vallarta and others. The Association offers free estimates and referrals.
Your helpful and thoughtful comments are appreciated. All comments will be moderated.